The first medical nutrition product targeting synapse loss
Clinically proven to improve memory in patients with early Alzheimer‘s disease [1,2]
Well tolerated and high product compliance [1,2,3]
Recommended to be taken one a day, every day [1,2]
Available in a convenient ready to drink 125 ml bottle: vanilla and strawberry flavours
Click on the image below for a printable version of this page
Indication and Directions for use
- Souvenaid is a Food for Special Medical Purposes (FSMP) for the dietary management of early Alzheimer’s disease which must be used under medical supervision.
- Souvenaid has been clinically proven to significantly improve memory in two randomised controlled trials conducted in patients with early Alzheimer’s disease [1,2].
Souvenaid Directions for use
- Souvenaid is designed to be taken as one bottle (125ml) once a day, in addition to the normal dietary intake
- The length of use of Souvenaid by an individual should be determined by their healthcare professional
- Shake well before use
- Ready to drink and best served chilled
Per serve = 125ml; EPA: eicosapentaenoic acid, DHA: docoshaexaenoic acid
Souvenaid patented combination of nutrients
Souvenaid contains a patented combination of nutrients, commonly referred under the trademark Fortasyn ConnectTM, which provides nutritional precursors and cofactors that work together to support neuronal membrane formation.
– DHA (docosaexhexaenoic acid), EPA (eicosapentaenoic acide), UMP (uridine monophosphate) and choline are precursors required to enhance neuronal membrane formation
– B-vitamins, vitamin C, E, selenium and phospholipids serve as cofactors by enhancing the bioavailability of those precursors
Safety profile and tolerability
Souvenaid is well tolerated alone in mild Alzheimer’s disease, and in combination with standard Alzheimer’s disease medication in mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease, with a side effect profile similar to that of controls in clinical trials [1,2,3].
The safety profile of Souvenaid has been established in three randomised controlled trials involving more than 1000 patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s disease [1,2,3]:
- Souvenaid was well tolerated, with >90% patient compliance
- No difference in the incidence of serious adverse events was observed between the Souvenaid and control patients receiving standard Alzheimer’s disease medications at a stable dose (AChEI and/or NMDA receptor antagonist)
In the clinical trial setting:
- No clinically relevant differences in serious adverse events and liver and renal safety parameters were observed between Souvenaid and control groups
- No (serious) adverse events were related to the use of antihypertensives and anticoagulants in combination with Souvenaid, at the recommended intake.
- Souvenaid does contain carbohydrate and as with other foods containing carbohydrate, it is advisable for people with diabetes to monitor their blood glucose levels as normal.
- Not suitable for patients with allergies to fish oil, milk or soy
- Not suitable for patients with Galactosaemia
- Souvenaid is available as a convenient once-daily drink.
- The small volume bottle (125 ml) is ready to drink and available in two flavours (vanilla and strawberry).
- Souvenaid can be purchased in packs of 4 bottles or cartons of 24
- Patients may purchase Souvenaid over the counter in pharmacies after consultation with a healthcare professional or directly from Nutricia at www.souvenaid.com.au or by calling customer service on 1800 884 367
- Scheltens P, et al. Efficacy of a medical food in mild Alzheimer’s disease: A randomized, controlled trial. Alzheimers Dement. 2010;6:1-10.e1.
- Scheltens P, et al. Efficacy of Souvenaid in mild Alzheimer’s disease: results from a randomized, controlled trial. J Alzheimer’s Dis. 2012;31:225–236.
- Shah R, et al. Souvenaid® as an add-on intervention in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s Disease using Alzheimer’s Disease medication: results from a randomized, controlled, Double-blind study (S-Connect). CTAD, San Diego, November 2011; J Nutr Health Aging (Nov suppl.).